Bhapa Illish or Illish Bhappe is a typical Bengali recipe and very much popular steamed fish and it’s also known as “Ilish maachh”, Bengali’s lunch or dinner menu is incomplete if such authentic & traditional hilsa fish is not served in their plates.
500 gm Hilsa Fish (cut them into pieces)
4 fresh finely chopped green chillies
25 gms. garlic cloves paste
10 gms. black colored mustard seeds
1 to 2 tsps. turmeric powder
1 nos lemon or lime juice
3 to 4 tbsps. mustard oil
Regular water, (As required)
salt as per your taste
Method for Preparation :
How To Make Bhapa Illish (steamed Fish)
- In a blender, Blend the garlic cloves, fresh green chillies and mustard seeds to make a smooth fine mixture or paste, the add regular water as required.
- Add some mustard oil, lemon or lime juice, turmeric powder and salt as per your taste, mix all ingredients together properly.
- Add the fish pieces to this mixture or paste and gently mix to coat well, check the seasonings and allow the fish pieces to marinate properly in the mixture
- or paste and keep into the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes to marinate.
- Steaming is the really best way to cook fish perfectly, so steam it for around 8 to 10 minutes or until it cooked completely.
- It’s ready to serve hot steamed fish – Bhapa Illish along with plain rice.
It’s really so yummy and tasty, don’t forget to share this recipe of steamed fish – bhapa illish recipe with your friends
- Once you marinate the hilsa fish in the mixture or paste that prepared earlier then wrap all these hilsa fish pieces gently in a banana leaves and Steam these hilsa fish pieces in such banana leaves wrapper that will impart it’s own nice flavor and beautiful aroma to the bhapa illish fish
BHAPA ILLISH – Steamed Fish
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Marination time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 12 to 15 minutes
Serve: 4 person